Saturday 21 February 2009

Political Correctness

This seems to have become a requirement for modern life. What you write, what you say and even the opinions you hold had better conform or you'll soon find yourself in trouble. Don't get me wrong, I strongly agree that we should respect and value others regardless of who they are, what they are like and how they choose to live. After all, every single human being on the planet is a unique creation of God with their own hopes and dreams and just as much right to a place in the sun as you and I. The problem comes when political correctness is stretched until you become afraid to speak the truth, express an opinion or call something by its real name because that may offend. This is just another way of saying "I forbid you to say anything about me I don't want to hear" hidden under the noble-sounding premise of "respect my feelings and don't offend me". What incredible self-centred pride! And what a sad place to live. The truth hurts sometimes, but faithful are the wounds of a friend. Jesus said that when we know the truth, the truth will set us free. Unless we allow others to tell us the truth about ourselves without crying foul, we will never see ourselves as other see us and we can never change to become better people.

No comments:

Post a Comment